Volunteers can make a major contribution to services that support and develop wellbeing and independence for older people, people with long term health conditions and carers.
People give their time in a huge variety of ways, such as
- giving advice to those with particular health issues, befriending (in the community, care home residents)
- running social groups (meeting and greeting, making refreshments, organising activities)
- exercise (chair based exercises)
- personal care (hairdressing, nail care)
- reading to people with sight loss
- shopping buddy
- transport (to pick up a prescription)
- walking companions
- arts & crafts (knitting, painting))
In Wales, there are 85,000 volunteers in health, social care and well being services providing the equivalent of nearly 30,000 full time posts.
Find information here about the 4,000+ voluntary organisations in Powys including how to access the Info-engine database