Census Day is 21 March 2021.
The census is a survey that happens every 10 years and gives us a picture of all the people and households in England and Wales.
Local councils, charities and many other organisations use census information to decide how to allocate services and funding.
This includes in areas like transport, education and healthcare. It also allows for equalities monitoring and helps us understand our society. This is why it is so important that the census counts everyone.
CEMs and CAs help groups of people to take part in the census.
The CEMs’ job is to lead community engagement in their area. They build links with local councils, local community organisations, trusted local leaders and charities, so that more people can join in. They do this by raising awareness, helping people understand why the census is important and building trust in the census. They give reassurance and practical support so that everyone can take part.
In some areas, we’ve also hired local community advisers (CAs) with specific language skills, to work with CEMs in communities where we’ve identified this will be needed.
Your local CEM would love to hear from you to learn more about your community and the ways in which they can help support you in Census 2021. These are some of the questions they may ask you.
- Can you tell us how we could help make the census easier to complete for people in your area?
- Can you put us in touch with other local leaders and community representatives who’ll spread the word?
- Can you give examples of how census information has benefited your community?
- Can you host meetings where we introduce the census and raise awareness?
- Can you invite us to your community events?
- Can you advertise census jobs through your newsletters or social media?
- Can you provide space or technology for people wishing to fill in their census form with support?
Your CEM and CA can also help you raise awareness of the census by:
- giving information, advice and support for your organisation/community
- supplying digital and printed information in many languages, for you to share
- creating content for you to use, for example, in your newsletters or on social media
- creating and sharing case studies that promote your work and community
Get in touch
Please contact 2021Census.Engagement@ons.gov.uk to find out more or be introduced to the CEM in your area.
If you work for a local authority, we have a dedicated team to help you.
Email them at 2021Census.LA.Liaison(at)ons.gov.uk.
If you know someone who might like to work for the census in your local area, send them to www.censusjobs.co.uk.