Fundraising Officer – Individual Giving and Membership
Centre for Alternative Technology – Machynlleth SY20 9AZ
CAT Seeks a Fundraising Officer to join our team responsible for raising vital funds for the Centre for Alternative Technology’s core and project work from individuals, trusts and foundations, statutory bodies and companies
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an educational charity demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability covering all aspects of green living: environmental building; renewable energy; woodland management; energy efficiency; and organic growing. It has a unique visitor centre that welcomes tens of thousands of visitors each year and a Graduate School offering postgraduate degrees in sustainability and adaptation, environmental architecture, sustainable food and natural resources, and renewable energy. The organisation also runs short courses and educational visits, offers venue hire, and undertakes research in ways to reduce Britain’s environmental footprint via the flagship Zero Carbon Britain project.
The Fundraising Officer role sits within the External Funding team, which is responsible for raising vital funds for the Centre for Alternative Technology’s core and project work from individuals, trusts and foundations, statutory bodies and companies. In this way it helps maintain CAT’s ability to fulfil its charitable mission – to inform, inspire and enable people to take action for a sustainable future.
This is an opportunity for a motivated and hardworking individual to work in a fantastic, skilled fundraising team on exciting and ambitious campaigns.
- Area of Responsibility: Individual Giving and Membership
- Responsible to: Fundraising Manager – Individual Giving and Membership
- Responsible for: Occasional supervision of volunteers
- Contract type: Permanent
- Location: Normally at the CAT site near Machynlleth, Mid Wales
- Working Days: Monday to Friday/ to be agreed with Line Manager
- Salary: £19, 227.57 per annum
- Hours: Full-time: 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE). Flexible working may be considered.
Willing to consider job shares or candidates seeking part-time
Work remotely: Temporarily. Primarily working remotely for the next 6 months, with a requirement to visit the CAT site at least weekly for deliveries and collections.
Closing date for applications: 9am on 22nd February 2021
Interviews to be held: Week commencing 1st March 2021
Expected start date: ASAP
Staff are working remotely as much as possible, subject to individual roles. Working arrangements for staff comply with all current applicable COVID-19 guidance and are updated as and when the guidance changes.
The post-holder will play a vital role in stewarding, inspiring and engaging current and potential supporters and members. They are accountable for establishing stronger and more effective relationships with these individuals and maintaining and increasing levels of engagement through consistent outstanding supporter care (customer service), effective management of enquiries and efficient coordination of communications (including outbound mail, email and phone).
The post-holder will also play a crucial administrative role, in particular by regularly collecting, processing and recording income for the team. They are accountable for the completion of various important business controls and processes to ensure this income is received correctly and on time, and that financial and other data is recorded accurately and appropriately. These include BACS payment collections, Gift Aid claims and one-off donations or membership payments.
The post-holder may work closely and share some responsibilities with the Database Officer and Fundraising Assistant. There may be opportunities to develop the role and gain experience of other aspects of fundraising such as copywriting, creative and analysis. The nature of this additional work may be tailored, to some extent, to the interests and abilities of the post-holder.
To provide supporter care services (daily):
- To be the first point of phone and email contact for individual Giving and Membership related queries, and to respond to these or escalate to line manager as appropriate.
To process donations, membership payments and new Direct Debits (weekly):
- To collect post, process cheque and card payments and deliver cheques for banking
- To collect and process card/Paypal payments and Direct Debit signups by phone, online or on paper
- To export, import and manually enter data to the CAT databases as appropriate
- To carry out and record individual and group mail, email and phone communications, including thanking and welcoming supporters and members
- To maintain appropriate records and ensure filing is kept up to date, including Gift Aid declarations.
To process other data (weekly) and manage communications:
- To process data and maintain records as appropriate, including for fundraising leads and updated addresses or contact preferences
- To carry out and manage communications, eg. mail, email and phone for welcome, stewardship, membership renewal and fundraising.
To process regular income claims (at least monthly):
- To submit Gift Aid claims to HMRC and update database records accordingly
- To submit Direct Debit claims to BACS, update database records accordingly and manage communications as appropriate, including Direct Debit cancellation letters
- To process CAF, Stewardship, GAYE, Standing Order, JustGiving, collection box and other income, and to manage communications and maintain records as appropriate.
To undertake other duties:
- To respond to requests from the Finance Team as appropriate, including for coding information
- To update results reports and select and export other data if required.
- To supervise and train volunteers and interns if required
- To help organise, administer bookings for and run the annual CAT Conference if required
- To undertake training in the functions of the role as described above
- To undertake any other appropriate duties as defined by the Fundraising Manager.
Further details can be obtained from our website: www.cat.org.uk under vacancies
Applications should be made by forwarding CVs to vacancy(at)cat.org.uk by the deadline, stating the job title in the Subject line.
Any queries should be addressed to vacancy(at)cat.org.uk