EU Settlement Scheme
As you may be aware, all European Economic Area (EEA) citizens and their families should be applying to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) as soon as they can and definitely before 30 June 2021.
It’s a simple application and there’s no fee. Some things to remember:
- All EEA citizens - even if they’ve lived in the UK for many years - must apply to the EUSS if they want to stay in the UK
- EEA citizens must be in the UK before 31 December to be eligible for the EUSS. They will have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the scheme but they should do so as soon as they can
- EEA citizens who come to the UK after 31 December will be subject to the normal immigration rules unless they are the family member of an EEA citizen already in the UK
- Some family members of EEA citizens will be able to join them and apply to the EUSS at any time in the future as long as their relationship existed before 31 December 2020
- Some family members of EEA citizens already in the UK must also be in the UK before 31 December 2020
The process is simple for many people but can get complicated for some.
There are some applications to the EUSS and for current EEA documentation that must be made before December 31 2020.
Newport Citizens Advice is able to provide support for EEA citizens living in the Newport, Caerphilly, Rhondda, Merthyr, Brecon, Torfaen and Monmouthshire local authority areas.
Assistance can be obtained by emailing EUSettledStatus(at)newportca.org.uk or telephoning 01633 222622.
Anyone wanting assistance should provide:
- Full name
- Date of Birth
- Email address
- Contact number.