PAVO can support your organisations to protect itself against fraud, make itself sustainable and prepare for success. We have extensive and varied experience with working with trustees, both as individuals and in groups, across Powys' Third Sector, and can support you with everything from setting up to winding down a group. The information on these pages is here to support you as a trustee, to help you develop your skills and knowledge and to help you with the running of your community group or voluntary organisation.
'Trustees' are members of the management group, executive committee or board of directors of a community group or organisation. Trustees are often known by other titles, such as directors, governors or committee members. Whatever name they go by, all trustees share in the duties and responsibilities of ensuring the smooth running and sustainability of their organisations.
In this section you'll find information sheets, introducing some of the challenges and opportunities trustees face in the day to day running of their organisations, and some Frequently Asked Questions to get you started. There is information about how to access our helpdesk and receive updates from across the third sector in our e-briefing or and through the Powys Trustee Network, as well as information on training opportunities. We have trustee resources, covering governing documents to recruiting trustees, alongside information on how to become a trustee yourself. For more in depth support, we also have information about our trustee mediation and dispute resolution service.
Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations' space for all things trustee and governance.
Introductory information on some of the key issues of trustee and governance, from trustee duties and responsibilities to trustee indemnity insurance.
Getting your head around some of the key terms and ideas of trustee and governance
How to get in touch with our development team, sign up to our e briefing with all the latest information from across the Third Sector and information about our Powys Trustee Network.
Whether you are a new organisation looking to get the hang of trustee and governance or looking for a refresher course, we can offer a course to suit your needs.
Here you will find useful resources and links, to help you in your role as a trustee, and also to help answer some of the most common queries on governance issues.
The what, why and how of becoming a trustee
Offering independent, confidential support for trustee board facing difficult situations within their organisations
Websites containing a range of useful information and resources for trustees
Fraud has, unfortunately, become a prominent concern for charities in the past few months. There'll be more advice to follow on how PAVO can help you protect against fraud in your organisation, but in the meantime, here's a quick rundown of the top ten tips for avoiding fraud.
1. Make sure you have access to accurate and up to date financial information and monitor the charity's financial performance against its budget
2. Make sure that cheques and cash are kept securely, banked promptly and recorded in the accounting records
3. Ensure cheque books are kept in a secure place - do not sign blank cheques
4. Make sure there are proper controls in place to protect income received by post and bank it as soon as possible
5. Make sure there are proper controls in place in relation to fundraising events, such as making sure two people handle and record the money received, that money is banked as soon as possible and that collection boxes are numbered and recorded
6. Keep proper records when claiming gift aid - HMRC give advice on what should be recorded
7. Make sure you have a clear policy on paying expenses to staff and volunteers and make sure they are authorised by someone other than the claimant
8. Make sure you have controls to ensure that all income from trading is recorded and received
9. Have monitoring procedures in place to make sure grants have been used for the agreed purposes
10. Report any suspected fraud to the police and to the Charity Commission
11. Contact PAVO for support to make your organisation the best it can be
You can download a PDF Reader by clicking on the appropriate button below. We would recommend Foxit Reader as it has a smaller file size (ideal for non-broadband users) is quicker in operation and will let you fill in PDF forms.
If you click on this Icon your browser will open a new window on the Foxit website where you can download the software.
If you click on this Icon your browser will open a new window on the Adobe website where you can download the software.
Powys Volunteer Centre Application Form So, you are thinking of volunteering? We provide a free matching... fb.me/8yiqfsRTO
Ffurflen Gais Canolfan Gwirfoddoli Powys ’Dach chi’n ystyried gwirfoddoli? Gallwn gynnig gwasanaeth paru am ddim... fb.me/8FYpzRa7M
Powys Voluntary Sector
Find information here about the 4,000+ voluntary organisations in Powys including how to access the Info-engine database