The Hedley Foundation awards grants to small charities working with young people in the following areas:o Recreation;
Health and welfare; and
The outdoor education of young people. The Foundation is particularly keen on supporting:
- Open air and adventure-type activities and the funding of appropriate kit and equipment;.
- Small charities which can demonstrate achievement in persuading and deterring at-risk young people from proceeding further down the pathway to custody.
- Small charities working with disabled and terminally ill young people through by providing specialist equipment and organised respite breaks;
- Small charities working with young carers;
- Organisational development and change.
UK registered charities may apply for a grant of up to £5,000. The average grant is around £3,000.
Grants are for specific projects only and are mostly one-off with a limited number of recurring grants for 2 to 3 years. National and very large charities are not supported.The Foundation awarded around £840,000 in one-off grants last year. The maximum grant is typically £5,000 and the average grant is £3,000. Larger awards of £10,000 or £15,000 - and occasionally £50,000 - are sometimes made by the Foundation.During the year ending 31 March 2017, the Trust awarded 310 (2016 - 320) charities totalling £821,980 (2016 - £847,705).
There is no requirement for match funding.
A list of all major awards made during the year can be found on pages 15 and 16 of the Foundations' annual accounts.Funding is not available for:o Individuals;
- Churches, cathedrals and museums;
- Exclusive charities which only help people from specific groupings;
- General funding, salaries, running costs, and transport;
- Building works or refurbishment projects.
Applications may be made at any time and are considered at Trustee meetings every two months.
Further information, together with an application form, can be downloaded from the Foundation's website.
Contact details for the Foundation are:Mrs Pauline Barker
The Hedley Foundation
1-3 College Hill
Email: pbarker@<wbr />hedleyfoundation.org.uk
(The Foundation does not advertise a phone number.)
Find information here about the 4,000+ voluntary organisations in Powys including how to access the Info-engine database