If you are new to funding click here for some useful tips to help get you started with your fundraising activities.
Gift Aid is a simple scheme allowing charities to increase the value of their donations (presently by 28%) from individuals by claiming the tax relief on gifts given to the charity on behalf of UK income tax paying donors.
Trusts, foundations and other grant giving bodies contribute approximately £2.7 billion each year to charitable causes, making them an important source of income for voluntary and community organisations. The trusts vary in size from small local trusts to large national bodies such as Esmee Fairbairn Foundation.
Their funding pots range from several thousand to millions of pounds. Other grant giving bodies include Local Authorities, National Government and the lottery. However when considering applying to any grant giving organisation you need to undertake some research and spend time planning your application.
Before making an application consider these reasons 'Why applications Fail'
to make sure you don't.
Also see the list of information sheets which provide funders covering specific topics such as community buildings and sport.
People give to organisations in many ways, these information sheets provide a useful introduction to different ways of attracting money from individuals.
Organisations can generate income from a wide range of activities from selling services to running a shop, or from selling membership to their organisation or providing a photocopying service. Such activities are called social enterprise; the attractive feature of income generated in this way is that it is not restricted in how it is spent. It can also be a more secure source of long term funding.
The internet offers a range of opportunities to generate income for your organisation, including:
- Search engines - get money for searching the web - sites like 'Every Click'
- Online donations - free and secure donations made online. These are just a few of the organisations providing online giving service, Just Giving, My charity page and Charity Choice
- Amazon - through their affiliate scheme you can get 5 - 10% from purchased made from a link on your website.
- Mission Fish - Gives money through e Bay sales to organisations
- For more general information about opportunities for online fundraising see his article from the ICT Hub.